Tuesday, June 14

Monuments & melodies...

this old man...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
-old man, Rizal Blvd, Dumaguete, summer '04

I wonder, will I ever be able to do that when I reach this man's age?
What would I be like? How will I look? How does it feel?
To take a little walk, oblivious to everything else, mp3 player in my pocket- music buzzing in my ears, as I listen to Incubus' ACLOTM.
Then maybe I'll take a break, drop by a convenience store & grab a beer or two & resume my little walk.
I bump into my grandkids friends, some of them are smoking;
One of them waves at me & I wave back. I ask them where they're headed to & they say they're gonna go hangout, 'cos class just ended.
We share some parting remarks-
they offer me a cigarette, I take one
& I'm off again.
Where I'm headed I don't know.
Jimi Hendrix's Voodoo Child is on now, I take a deep breathe as the opening riff somehow has a hypnotic effect.
I've found a nice spot, where I can sit & enjoy the spectacle.
A street vendor walks & I get myself a packet of boiled peanuts, perfect with my beer.
I think back, & reminisce of sunsets just like this, days long gone.
Back when I was young, reckless & dumb. I think I haven't changed much. I've just gotten older.
Ill Nino's With You starts to play.
Memories come flooding back...

I close my eyes for a while, & drift off to another place.
I don't know if I will wake, this walk isn't over yet.
Many places to see. Many things to do.
Whatever comes my way, I'll take it as is.
No regrets, no complaints;
incubus' Monuments & Melodies is playing as I dream off into space;

My hands are trembling
And my eyes are on fire
This house is crumbling

Left brain, left out, on the wire

You make me happy
You magnify my better half

You make me certain
Though all I have today is your photograph
My past is perilous
But each scar I bear sings

Monuments to where I have been
And melodies to where I am going
You make me happy
You magnify my better half

You make me certain
Though all I have today is your photograph

When will I see you again?

Still-life can only go so far
I need you in front of me
Saying my name
Saying to me... "I choose the way you are
You, the way you are"
You make me happy
You magnify my better half
You make me certain
Though all I have today is your photograph
You make me happy...

So much for dreamin'...
i don't even know if i'll see tomorrow...
whatever it is, i'll be ready.

No comments: